Monday, December 10, 2012

Slow Cooker Green Curry Pork

Get ready for slow cooker week on Cupcake Muffin!  I realized I had a bunch of slow cooker recipes in my draft posts, so I thought it would be fun to share them all in one week.  And, this is the perfect time of year to do it since everyone is busy and could use a bit of a break.  There's a little bit of everything - pork today, plus a vegan crockpot recipe and a chicken recipe coming up later this week.  Up first: slow cooker green curry pork!

I was actually a little worried about this recipe, because the reviews in the comments were somewhat mixed - some people thought it was fantastic, but others thought it was too bland.  I'm guessing the difference may have been from using different brands of curry paste, since the other ingredients are pretty standard.  I've listed the curry paste I prefer below, but you might need to play around with what's available in your area to find one that you like (and to find one with your preferred spiciness level).  In any case, my curry turned out absolutely delicious!  It's creamy, spicy, and so flavorful.  The combination of super tender pork and creamy potatoes just can't be beat.  My only 'complaint' about this recipe is that it doesn't contain a vegetable, so despite using the slow cooker, you'll need to do a little bit of last-minute prep - I made simple sauteed spinach with lemon juice, which was a great accompaniment.


Slow Cooker Green Curry Pork (adapted from the Kitchn, original recipe here)
Serves 6

2-1/2 pounds bone-in pork butt or shoulder
Salt and pepper
Oil
1-1/2 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes
5 ounces Thai green curry paste (I used Mae Ploy brand)
1 can full-fat coconut milk
Juice of 1 large, juicy lime
Cooked rice, to serve

1. Season the pork with salt and pepper.  Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, and add enough oil to just coat the bottom of the pan.  When the oil is hot, add the pork and brown on all sides.
2. Scrub the potatoes, and cut any that seem larger than usual into pieces - the ones I used were the size of large cherry tomatoes, so I didn't bother to cut them.  Place in the slow cooker and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Place the pork on top of the potatoes.
4. Return the skillet to medium-high heat, and add more oil if necessary.  When it is hot, add the curry paste and fry for 3-5 minutes, until very aromatic, stirring constantly.  Whisk in the coconut milk and cook for another few minutes, until bubbling.
5. Pour the curry sauce over the pork.  Cook for 8 hours on low, until the pork is fork-tender.  Stir in the lime juice.  Taste and adjust seasining.  Serve with rice.

5 comments:

  1. OMG Sara, when I looked at the dish at first I thought those were hard boiled eggs - ha!

    I love almost everything with coconut milk - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things green curry! GENIUS to make it in the slow cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect time of year for using a slow cooker! I love the flavor of green curry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great dish to make in the slow cooker. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that interesting when some people find things bland while others don't? I think you're right with the curry paste or even seasoning :)

    ReplyDelete