Monday, September 27, 2010

Mustard Chicken with Fresh Corn Polenta

I love polenta, and adding fresh corn to it makes it even tastier!  It's such a comforting food, and I really like that any leftovers can be chilled and then fried up for breakfast the next morning.  Here, creamy polenta is paired with grilled mustard chicken.  I tried this recipe to give my new grill pan a spin, and I'd have to say it was not a big success.  I had some bone-in, skin-on chicken from the farmer's market, and I think the meat was just too awkwardly-shaped to cook evenly in a good amount of time.  The flavors were great, but next time I'd try boneless chicken and make sure it was an even thickness before trying to grill it.  With that caveat, I think the combination of lemon, garlic, and mustard was a great one both with the chicken and the slightly sweet polenta.  Next time, I'd just use a different cut of chicken or roast it in the oven instead of grilling.


Mustard Chicken with Fresh Corn Polenta (adapted from Bon Appetit, via Serious Eats)
Serves 2

2 T Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, minced
6 ounces skin-on boneless chicken breast, cut into two pieces
Salt and pepper
2-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup polenta
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Corn kernels cut from 1 ear of fresh corn
Olive oil

1. Whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, and garlic clove.  Rub onto the chicken, both under and over the skin.  Season with freshly ground black pepper and a bit of salt.  Marinate in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours, or use immediately. 
2. Meanwhile, make the polenta.  Bring the water to a boil.  Add the polenta gradually, whisking constantly, until incorporated.  Add the salt and sugar, return to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the polenta is creamy, about 30 minutes.  Add the corn and cook a further 5 minutes.  Season with freshly ground black pepper.
3. While the polenta is cooking, grill the chicken.  Remove the chicken from the fridge about 15 minutes before ready to cook.  Grill on a grill or grill pan drizzled with olive oil, or roast in a 400 degree oven in a small, oiled pan until cooked through.
4. Divide the polenta between two bowls, and top each with a portion of chicken.


6 comments:

  1. I prefer bone-in skin-on chicken too - I agree roasting might be a good way try next time. It still looks lovely, though and the flavors sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like adding mustard to my chicken dish too. Sounds delicious Sara !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, a perfect weeknight meal for the family...or just me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic meal! I love the fresh corn in the polenta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fresh polenta sounds really delicious and the sweetness must balance out the spiciness of the mustard so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sound of fresh corn polenta! This is a lovely meal!

    ReplyDelete