Monday, January 18, 2010

Buttermilk Asparagus Soup with Prosciutto

I've been making an effort to eat more fruits and veggies lately, and so when I saw this soup recipe I knew I had to give it a try.  It has fantastic flavor from the asparagus and tangy buttermilk, and the salty toppings pair perfectly with the smooth, mild soup. It's also super easy to prepare, so it makes a perfect lunch.  I paired the soup with a thick slice of banana bread.

Since I was just cooking for myself, I made about a one-third recipe and had plenty for lunch plus a little bit leftover.  The extra saved well in the fridge and I supplemented it with some roasted beets a few days later for another lunch.  (I don't recommend this - though it was fairly tasty, the red beets dyed the soup a terrible brownish color - but other roasted veggies would make a yummy addition sprinkled on top.)  To reheat, just set the soup over low heat until it just starts to simmer.

Also, be sure to check out the profile Life360 Blog just did on me.  Yay!

Buttermilk Asparagus Soup with Prosciutto (adapted from Simple Fresh Southern by Matt Lee and Ted Lee)
Serves 4

3 pounds asparagus, woody bottoms broken off
4 cups chicken broth
Kosher salt
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk, or more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 to 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into small strips

1. Cut the tips off the asparagus and reserve.  Cut the spears crosswise into pieces about 3/4 inch long.

2. Bring the broth and 1/4 tsp kosher salt to a simmer in a large pot, and add the onion and chopped asparagus, reserving 24 of the tops.  Simmer until tender, 10-12 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, pour the oil into a large skillet over high heat until it coats the pan.  Drain any additional oil.  Add the reserved asparagus tops, and sprinkle with kosher salt.  Cook, stirring every minute or so, until they are browned and beginning to crisp (time will depend on size of asparagus spears).  Remove from heat.

4. Transfer broth and veggies to a blender and puree until smooth.  Return to the pot and add the buttermilk.  Season generously with freshly ground black pepper, taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.  Heat soup to a simmer and serve immediately.  Top each bowl with the sauteed asparagus tops and a few strips of prosciutto.


I'm sending this recipe off to Blogger Secret Ingredient: Buttermilk.  This week, BSI is hosted by My Kitchen Adventures.  Can't wait to see the round-up!

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea for asparagus. I usually stirfry them but a soup sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup is super gorgeous! I love that color. It is one of the most visually appealing things I have seen in a while. Plus asparagus and prosciutto are a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a refreshing looking soup! I don't think I've ever tried buttermilk with asparagus, done this way. Must keep it in mind for future reference.

    ReplyDelete